Stepping outside of yourself ...



Gavin George graduated from high school in 1998. Back then he was a kind and thoughtful teenager who was well-liked by peers and teachers.

Here, though, Gavin writes about what a challenge it was for him to just be himself at that age. No doubt he’s not alone in this. “Be yourself” seems like good advice, but with the million-and-one considerations that accompany every social interaction, how does one do
that? If you try to be yourself but you really don’t know who you are, where does that leave you? Gav tries to get at some of these questions below.

After graduating from high school, Gavin went to USD, where he earned a BA in English and a minor in religious studies. After trying his hand at teaching and youth ministry, Gavin began working for his parents at their Catholic and vitamin store, Nature’s Storehouse, in Chula Vista.

His post is about allowing yourself to be vulnerable. “The aim of my post is to share with students my personal experiences and reflections that I have learned in the twenty-plus years I have been out of high school.”

- C.H.



My name is Gavin George. I graduated as part of the Francis Parker class of 1998. I would like to share with you some personal insights which are simple to understand, but not easy to apply in your lives; be yourself, be vulnerable, and find things which help your personal growth and enjoyment.

My five years at Parker brought stability, structure, and familiarity for the first time in life. Despite my friendliness I was extremely shy, and other than a few close friends and teachers, I had a hard time being myself. We all have shortcomings and struggles. However, try to just be who you are; I shared with others my love for sports, writing, reading, helping others and dorky jokes. Be honest and open up about your emotions, feelings, experiences to those you learn to trust and love. I know how difficult this can be, but this is substance of which real relationships are made of. Relationships are not defined by superficial things, but what makes us each unique and special as human beings. Others may call you weird or different. However, try to be vulnerable, and in time meaningful relationships will take shape.
 
What does being vulnerable mean to me? During both my time at Parker and after, being vulnerable has meant taking risks in order to get to know others. Every day depending on your life circumstances you meet others. I help my parents run a nutrition and Catholic store in Chula Vista, California. Daily I meet and interact with amazing people. Some of these individuals over time become part of my family. When meeting individuals for the first time, I try to help them find items or lend a listening ear to what they share. Depending on how these interactions go or if I see them again, I ask some individuals if they would like to meet up for coffee and chat more. There is risk involved, but I have discovered the rewards are greater. Those who accept my invitation often become individuals dear to my heart and over time share in beautiful memories, laughter, tears, and everything in between. It is amazing feeling being able to love others and have them express the same feelings and emotions towards us.

As you enter this stage in your lives take some time to reflect on what brings you enjoyment and happiness. It can be as simple of reading a good book, singing a song, playing a certain sport with friends, but the point is, discover which things you truly enjoy. Once you have such things, ideas in mind, see what options are out there which allow you to develop these interests. For me from the time I came to the United States from England, I developed a love and passion for basketball. During my eighth grade year at Parker, I went to my first basketball practice, but quickly pulled back. However, my love and passion for basketball continued to stay with me. As a result in my the winter of my sophomore year, putting anxiety aside, I joined the basketball team. I look back on those two years playing organized basketball fondly. They were definitely in some ways extremely challenging, but brought with them memories, relationships that still mean so much to me today. My experiences playing basketball and later running long distance track and field during my junior and senior years in high school allowed me to at times overcome my shyness and just be content with who I was.

Friends, I know my suggestions are not easy. I am also not going to lie and say I am always good at being vulnerable, real, and taking part in activities involving my passions. Yet, I tell you that every time I have stepped outside of myself, I have grown as a person, and inched that much closer to being truly at peace to with who I am.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The formidable force of change ...

Escaping the prison of perfection ...

Go all in ...