The best-laid plans...



Scott Schneider graduated in 1993. When I stepped onto the football field as a young and inexperienced coach in the late summer of 1991, he was one of the first students I met.

Right away I could see he was different than the other prep school kids. He had an attitude. He talked back. Unlike the Parker lifers, who had developed trusting relationships with their teachers, Scott seemed to be suspicious of authority and not particularly eager to please. You might be able to see a little of this in his football mugshot below.

It wasn’t until a little later, when I had him in my English class, that I came to hear Scott’s story -- that he had transferred from a big public school after struggling academically in 9th and 10th grades; that he had gotten with the “wrong crowd” (his words), skipped a lot of school, and found himself in a number of fights.

I mention all of this because Scott’s post is about something we all know but sometimes forget: that things don’t always go as planned. After graduating, Scott went to play quarterback at Ohio University, one of those tough MAC schools, but it didn’t work out the way he had envisioned. “I had a hard time balancing the demands of being a scholarship athlete with my school work and robust social life,” he said. Back in San Diego, he enrolled in Mesa, played some more football, then transferred to SDSU where he earned a degree in English.

After managing a restaurant for a while (“a very humbling experience,” he said), Scott decided to become a police officer. Yeah -- the rebellious teenager becomes a cop, the most recognizable symbol of authority in our world. He will have been on the force 20 years in October and currently supervises his department’s narcotics unit. You just never know how things are going to play out.

Scott has been married for 13 years (his wife is also a police officer). In his spare time, he does triathlons, trains in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and juggles his kids’ busy sports schedules.

His post is a collection of bits and pieces of hard-earned wisdom. “I have seen a lot in two decades in law enforcement,” he said. “I’ve been to public schools, private schools, junior college, and four-year universities. I’ve had 26 years to reflect on my experience and I hope my post helps someone better navigate this period in their lives.”

- C.H.





“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness.” Was Dickens describing the French Revolution… or high school?

I transferred from a public school to Parker in 11th grade and graduated with the Class of 1993. We recently had our 25-year reunion, and I found myself sitting there, looking around at all my former classmates, reflecting on this whirlwind period in my life. As a senior in high school, I had a great plan. Go off to college, get my degree, play in the NFL for a few years….

Life doesn’t go according to plan though. Thankfully, I stayed flexible and continued to look for new opportunities. When injuries cut my football career short, I focused on school and picked up a job. Through this job, a met a friend who eventually brought me a job application for the police department. This October marks my 20th year in law enforcement. I didn’t plan it this way, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

The coming-of-age experience resonates with all of us, because it is when we really begin to explore who we are and who we want to become. I look back on my time in school through a very different lens now. My advice on surviving school with your soul intact has evolved from what I would have offered someone twenty years ago.

If I could build a time machine – out of a 1982 Delorean, of course – I would give my high school-self the following advice:

-  Don’t be in such a hurry to grow up. Life is short! Travel. Read more. Be a little introspective. Enjoy the journey and quit worrying so much about the destination. You don’t have to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life just yet.

-  Money does not equal success or happiness. The endless pursuit of acquiring more things is the path of the fool. Experiences have true value.

-  There is no shame in junior college. Most people have no idea what they really want to study in school, and junior college enables you to complete your general education requirements and explore various degree options without breaking the bank.

-  A college degree is valuable, but it isn’t for everyone. Trade schools are a great option for some. The world needs more welders, plumbers, and electricians. I know many people who spent years after school with massive student loan debt in exchange for a relatively worthless degree.

-  Try to keep things in perspective. Something that feels incredibly important to you now will likely one day seem trivial.

-  It's ok to make mistakes. Failure is a great teacher. As you transition from high school to college, you will find yourself with a rapidly increasing level of responsibility. You’re making decisions, sometimes on gut instinct, without much life experience. Life is filled with ups and downs, so learn to roll with the punches.

-  Be nice to others. The world desperately needs more kind people. The person whose life on Instagram seems so idyllic is full of shit and struggles to get out bed every day. A smile, a compliment, or a hug can make the difference for them.

-  Surround yourself with people who challenge and inspire you to be your best. The individuals you spend time around really do influence what type of person you become. Avoid negative people as they will drag you down.

-  A strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and good manners (think “Yes Sir” and “Yes Ma’am”) go a long way and will set you apart from the crowd.

-  You don’t need a credit card. Seriously.

Maybe in another 20 years, I will have an entirely new perspective on this stuff. The internet, particularly social media, seems to be transforming our culture in ways we never anticipated. This is something my generation didn’t have to deal with, but I think the rules above still apply. Good luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The formidable force of change ...

Escaping the prison of perfection ...

My honest college essay...